A fast food business idea in Kenya is a very profitable one. Especially in city centres, people rather eat in restaurants or hotels around the area. These people are usually on the go and have work to do which makes fast food a great option for their lunches.
There are a lot of competitors in the fast food business but yours can be successful if you stand out from the crowd.
- First things first, you need to conduct market research if you wish to start a fast food business in Kenya. This would give you insight on what opportunities there are in the market. It would also give you knowledge of how things are done in the fast food business and what to sell.
Fast Food Business Plan
- Next, you need to create a good business plan for your fast food business.
- This business plan should contain a summary of your business with your goals.
- A clear description of your products and services. This is where you state the kind of food you would sell and at what rate you would sell.
- State your ideal customers. This is your target audience. Describe how you intend on reaching these people and how you would be meeting their needs.
- Give a summary of your competitive environment. Know what the latest trends in the fast food business are as well as the strengths and weaknesses of your competitors.
- Describe how your fast food business would operate, the skills and experience required of staff for the business as well as how the business would run.
- State your marketing strategy. How do you want to reach your customers? How do you want people to know about your business? You can do this in so many different ways. You can offer discounts and promotions on your products.
- Give a summary of your finances. State your funding costs, operating expenses and your financial goals to make your fast food business profitable.
- Thereafter, you need to decide on the best location for your fast food business as it is also a determining factor for the profitability of your business.
- As with every other kind of business, you need to register your business. This is for the purpose of recognition and branding. This gives your business an identity.
- For food businesses in Kenya, you need to acquire food licenses for your fast food business. These put your business in a good space with the authorities.
- First is a single business permit. This can be obtained from the City Council. This costs about Ksh 5,000 annually depending on the size of your business.
- You also need a Food and Hygiene License. As the safety of the food you sell in your fast food business is important, you need to acquire a food safety certificate from the authorities to ensure that your products are safe for consumption. To obtain this, you need to meet the health and safety requirements. Health officials would be sent to your business location to inspect the hygiene, safety and preparation of the food before you can receive your certificate. A food handler’s certificate is also needed.
- Lastly, you need a Fire Safety Certificate. As a food business, fire would be involved in the food preparation process as well as electric appliances and components that can potentially cause fires. You need to have an adequate number of fire extinguishers in your business in the case of a fire outbreak. Your business would be inspected by a fire inspector to check if you are in compliance with the fire safety laws. Your fire safety certificate would then be issued to your fast food business.
- Developing a marketing strategy can not be emphasised enough. This is majorly where the profitability of your business lies.
How Much it Costs to Start a Fast Food Business in Kenya
The total cost of starting a fast food restaurant business in Kenya could start from Ksh 80,000.
It costs more to start a fast food restaurant in urban areas, like Nairobi, than in the suburbs.
Some of the things that will make up the startup cost include:
- Rent or Lease.
- Business Permits and Licenses.
- Food Ingredients.
Is the Fast Food Business in Kenya Profitable?
It is a really profitable business. Especially in urban areas where a lot of people have busy schedules, you find that people prefer to eat at fast food restaurants and they are always on the go and need food that is readily available.
This therefore increases the demand for fast food in the area than in the suburbs.
The average minimum profit made by most fast food restaurants in Kenya is Ksh 40,000.
Fast Food Restaurants in Nairobi
Nairobi seems to be a good place to situate fast food businesses because of the nature of the city centres.
Here are some fast food restaurants in Nairobi you could take a look at if you are considering starting a fast food business in Kenya.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken.
- Burger King.
- Chicken Inn.
- Pizza Inn.
- Debonairs Pizza.
These fast food restaurants can give you an idea of what you would like to sell at your fast food business. It may be pizza, burgers, Icecream, local food or whatever you wish.
Food Truck Business in Kenya
Having a fast food business in one location is great but how about having a mobile fast food restaurant?
Food trucks have become a way to have your business in different locations without spending a lot on renting out spaces for your fast food business.
There are food trucks for sale in Kenya if you are buying the idea of a mobile fast food restaurant.
Food trucks in Kenya can cost from Ksh 1,000,000 to over Ksh 2,000,000.
This amount may seem much but will turn out to be a good investment in the long run.
A food truck business is a good idea as you can be in multiple locations in one day. This can also increase the profitability of your fast food restaurant business.
It can also be a marketing strategy as people would see your food truck moving around which would get their attention. You would have customers awaiting for the arrival of your food truck business at different locations.
If you make enough profit to buy another food truck, your business can grow to be on a larger scale.
In conclusion, a fast food business in Kenya is a very rewarding one in the long run. It may be on a small scale or large scale and either be stationary or mobile with the use of a food truck.
Although the fast food market is very competitive, with the right strategies in place, your fast food business can succeed in Kenya.